Saturday, May 21, 2011

Back in the Saddle

I'm back... I'm back in the saddle again... Ridin' into town alone by the light of the moon. I'm looking for ol Sukie Jones. She crazy horse saloon. Barkeep gimme a drink...

For anyone that follows this blog or for that matter cares - my apologies for being gone for so long. Life and all of it's joys have kept me occupied the last few months.

So why the post and why the Aerosmith lick above? Well dear reader I just finished my first 100KM mountain marathon following my colon cancer surgery back in February and I feel good! Feel like I'm back in the saddle again.

I ran the Trail Grand Raid Dentelles Ventoux, 13 - 14 May 11 and it rocked. To get to the bottom first - I bested my 2009 race time this year by almost three hours. Figure that's what a couple of years of running and a little motivation will do for you. Much of the event I was concerned about my surgery, the C word and it's impact on my endurance. From the outset I set out with the simple goal of making it to each aid station and as necessary I would drop from the race. Although there were the typical aches and pains that go with racing through the "hills" of Provence I felt great and have regained my ultrarunning confidence.

I'll post some pictures and additional thoughts on this event over the next couple of days and try to come here move often to share my thoughts on running with cancer and ultra running in general

Off to listen to a bit more Aerosmith...

No comments:

Post a Comment