Sunday, December 26, 2010

16K Powder Run


With temperatures at -8C and sunshine pure it was an amazing day for a powder run! Like yesterday I ran mixed cleared and uncleared farm paths and trails. The vistas were breathtaking and the running was a challenge.

Running was great where the path or trail had either been driven or trampled down. It was much like running on wet beach sand. It became a challenge were either no one had gone before or very few people or vehicles had traversed as yet.

Today I was running in my Asics T9 gore tex shoes and have to tell you that I did not feel much of difference as far as the cold went from wearing my Vibram Five Fingers yesterday. Although the T9s are a conventional "water resistant" shoe given today's weather conditions (well below freezing and about 30cm of new snow on the ground) they don't offer much protection from ice and snow around your ankles. I suppose in order to do that I'd need a pair of gaiters. So at the end of the day (I had ice rings that formed around the collars of both shoes) I'm convinced I've got to go back out in my Five Fingers again.

No comments:

Post a Comment