Saturday, December 25, 2010

Let it Snow


It's been snowing here like crazy the last couple of weeks and the entire time I've been dying to get out and try my Vibram Five Fingers in the snow. After lunch today the opportunity finally presented itself. I'm still undecided on how I feel about running them in snowy conditions.

Today the temperature was at -6 C; the ground was covered in about 30 centimeters of new snow. The surfaces I was running on varied from unpaved, uncleared farm paths, side walks and roads. Going was good on the paths that had a firm (non-powdered surface); it was tougher where the road or path had been cleared by a snow plow because of the ice (hurts a little more than rocks in general) and toughest in the areas where little to no clearing had occurred. Other than those areas where the snow had not been cleared I did not have cold feet. My ankles got cold after pushing through relatively uncleared areas after being exposed directly to the snow.

Where the path was snow covered and firm I made the best time and ran in the most comfort in my Five Fingers. It was much like running on firm sand and provided a relaxed and comfortable workout. This type of surface is obviously the most enjoyable to run in this type of minimized shoe.

I don't have a pair of Five Finger socks so I can't test that aspect. If the weather stays cold like it is now and people continue to walk around I'll give the Five Fingers another shot on packed down snow. Until then, it's back to my Goretex shoes and preparation for the BC!

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment